PDA

View Full Version : Do you smellify your house with essential oils??

rachelmaria
04-02-2012, 08:18 PM
So, SO seems to have a problem with scentsy type stuff. And, frankly, I've yet to find a fragrance that I really love. I thought, hey, I could just make this myself. Melt down soy wax flakes from the hobby store and add my own essential oils. But then I realized that's sorta extra work. Why not just use plain essential oils and leave out the wax part. :err:
~~~~~~~
WTF, yo. My comp is wack. I'm totes not done with my OP.

Anywhoooo, I already have scentsy warmers, and I'm not going to buy even more contraptions to warm essential oils throughout the house. Do you think I could just use my warmer with EOs and a carrier oil?? How do yall smellify the house?? Any suggestions/comments are appreciated. I have an old house and it smells like old house. :blush:

Katiebear
04-02-2012, 08:43 PM
We don't smellify our house. We're scent sensitive, so we try to avoid anything that might irritate us.

Katherine
04-02-2012, 09:15 PM
NO. I prefer not to give myself a migraine. I recently allowed dh to use dryer sheets again, and even that made me unable to go to the basement until it aired out.

If I wanna smelling the place, I'll make a pie or toss a lemon down the garbage disposal.

MudderDearest
04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
i like candles, buuuuut i hardly ever buy them. when i do its something like banana bread, chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, or birthday cake.

so people THINK i actually bake.

BeccatheGreat
04-02-2012, 09:18 PM
You probably could use essential oils in your warmer if you wanted. I don't know anyone who's tried it, though.

CommieVegan
04-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I have a separate warmer for EOs and carrier oils. (I won't use anything that's not an EO because I am sensitive to scents, too.) I haven't tried it in a Scentsy-style warmer. One thing is that the warming area is much larger in one of those than in my oil diffuser, so you'd need to use more of everything. But I'd say it's worth a try.

kukukachoo
04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
i have not tried that. whenever i go into stores that sell oils and incense and stuff i always wish my house could smell like that. i loooooove it.

mema
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I use these http://www.scentastics.com/scentastics/merchant.ihtml?id=14&step=2. (http://www.scentastics.com/scentastics/merchant.ihtml?id=14&step=2)
They work great and they have a ton of EO.

Gigi
04-02-2012, 10:28 PM
I used to have an oil burner. I can't remember if it came with EOs or something different, but it was the same general principal as the wax tart stuff. Put in the top, light a candle underneath. I loved mine.

rachelmaria
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I have a separate warmer for EOs and carrier oils. (I won't use anything that's not an EO because I am sensitive to scents, too.) I haven't tried it in a Scentsy-style warmer. One thing is that the warming area is much larger in one of those than in my oil diffuser, so you'd need to use more of everything. But I'd say it's worth a try.

I thought the same thing. And since EOs are already fairly expensive, using more than necessary seems doubly wasteful. When you do warm your EOs, how long does it last before you would have to replenish the oil?

CherryPie
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I have a customer that uses oils in her Scentsy warmer :)

Lamplighter
04-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I use these http://www.scentastics.com/scentastics/merchant.ihtml?id=14&step=2. (http://www.scentastics.com/scentastics/merchant.ihtml?id=14&step=2)
They work great and they have a ton of EO.

Those are pretty!

TerraNoelle
04-02-2012, 10:56 PM
I admit, I do use "bad candles". But when I do try hard to be more natural, I either use the essential oils [lavender...LOVE!] in the lightbulb diffuser ring thing. Or I'll simmer some cinnamon [or some other nice spice], citrus peels, etc on the stove top for a bit.

impchild
04-02-2012, 10:59 PM
i would get a lightbulb ring. a few drops of EO on it and it is lovely.

momtogcubed
04-02-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't use anything scented. Even EOs give me a throbbing headache. I tried laveder since it's supposed to help with headaches and that did it, too! :sigh:

Sweet Karma Cakes
04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I frequently use my oil burner with about a tablespoon coconut oil or whatever oil I have around and a few drops of EO. It works great.

Queen of pain
04-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I use an air diffuser with my EOs. Like this (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=essential+oil+air+diffuser&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=u9r&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=np&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=860&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13402244126060607450&sa=X&ei=WTt6T52LEbPSiAKypdE2&ved=0CHwQ8wIwAA).

sourpatch_babe
04-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Last time I was tired of the way my house smelled I just packed up and moved, or did the laundry. The smell went away immediately lol. I used to buy candles but they're expensive and I'm cheap so I moved onto saving the apple cores and orange peels from when the boys eat them and boiling them when I want to smellify up the place. I used to put a fee drops of eucalyptus or peppermint eo in a coton ball in the small downstairs bathroom but that place was like four tiles wide and the scent stayed.

CommieVegan
04-03-2012, 12:18 AM
I thought the same thing. And since EOs are already fairly expensive, using more than necessary seems doubly wasteful. When you do warm your EOs, how long does it last before you would have to replenish the oil?

It seems like the oil lasts a few hours. I haven't paid that much attention to how long it lasts.

CherryPie
04-03-2012, 02:37 AM
could you mix the EO with a carrier oil like almond oil?

rachelmaria
04-03-2012, 02:42 AM
could you mix the EO with a carrier oil like almond oil?

I believe so. From what I've read online in my little bit of research that I've been able to unearth, sounds like people use all kinds of stuff, from plain vegetable oil (sounds like not the best idea, but the lady said it worked!) to just water. I think I'll just make it a hit and miss experiment. I've got several different oils at the house that I could use as carriers, and I have water ;), and if water or oil won't hold a smell, I figure I could try and melt some soy wax with the EO.

Anybody know of any other ways? I think we covered most options, right? :)

SisterEncarnacion
04-03-2012, 04:31 AM
I do :) I put 2 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil in my larger warmer, with 5-10 drops of essential oil. It works perfectly.

Orange, lemongrass & lavender blended together is really nice.. fyi ;)

amygamie
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I put EO in my warmers and never had a problem. Sometimes I add in chunks of unscented candle wax, like breaking off a piece of cheap unscented pillar candles and adding the EO oil in after the wax melts a bit. DH wants to start making our own wax tarts so I am actually going to go out and see if I can find some soy wax for sale in stores today. I want to try it with coconut oil like SisterEncarnacion said she uses. I have thought about it but never actually tried it myself.