PDA

View Full Version : Stomach Pain from Avocados

k8secondo
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
So whenever I eat avocados I get stomach cramps, bloating and painful gas. DH says I could be allergic, but I don't have any other allergy symptoms, it's all digestive. Anyone else heard of avocado problems?

Dolphin_medic
05-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm allergic to them, numb/swollen tongue, hives etc. So it's entirely possible.

jaime
05-14-2012, 09:53 PM
That is my exact reaction to avocado, guacamole (obviously) too.
Awful stomach pains, painful gas, etc.
I also have a reaction to latex.

Because of both of these items, my dr thinks that I have an allergy (or sensitivity) to latex. Apparently avocado has two types of allergies, the one where the stomach pain comes from is related to latex.

Allergies

Some people have allergic reactions to avocado. There are two main forms of allergy: those with a tree-pollen allergy develop local symptoms in the mouth and throat shortly after eating avocado; the second, known as latex-fruit syndrome,[36] is related to latex allergy[37] and symptoms include generalised urticaria, abdominal pain, and vomiting and can sometimes be life-threatening.[38]
I got that from Wikipedia.

I also stay away from kiwi and bananas. I always tell drs about my latex allergy.
~~~~~~~
That got cut off, I tell the, even though I have never been tested for the allergy.
~~~~~~~
Them not the. Damn I can't type on the iPad!

Dolphin_medic
05-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Yes, Jaime brings up a good point as well.

BeccatheGreat
05-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I get the toots from them pretty bad.

k8secondo
05-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Hmm... that is interesting about the latex. I eat bananas all the time and don't have problems and never had a reaction to latex gloves or condoms.

It also seems to be quantity related. A few slices are ok, a whole lot of it, not ok. :shrug:

I was also thinking it may be the high fat content in it. I sometimes get a bad stomach ache after too much greasy food or butter laden foods.

BeccatheGreat
05-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh, I am allergic to latex, too.

jaz
05-16-2012, 01:46 AM
I get stomach pain from eating bananas and itchy mouth and throat. I am contact allergic to avocados, touching the flesh makes me itch and break out in hives. I hate the taste of avocados so I never eat them, no idea if I'd get other symptoms if I did. Probably.
~~~~~~~
I can, however, eat cooked bananas so far with no issues. It's the raw ones that trip me up. Unfortunately I'd imagine cooked avocado isn't very good so that wouldn't work for you.

aschrimp
05-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Look up oral allergy syndrome! That is what I have to cucumbers - common cross allergies are mangos, bananas, avocados and latex. The allergy is actually to pollen proteins that are embedded in the fruit as it grows, and they are denatured very easily by cooking. I am anaphylactic to cucumbers, but can eat pickles with no problem (cooked ones, anyway).

k8secondo
05-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Now that I've thought about it more, mangos can bother me as well. And I've gotten irritated hands from cutting up mangos and kiwis before, but I just figured it was the acids or my sensitive skin. I wonder if I could be allergic to them as well. But is that possible if bananas are ok with me?

aschrimp
05-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I can eat all the other foods on the list, and sometimes get no symptoms at all, but sometimes get a little tingly in my mouth. Cucumbers, though, are a definate no. My allergist said that I just need to watch my reactions with the other stuff.

Banannas I only react to the peel.

yeswehave8
05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Well now I am a little concerned... I have a latex allergy, mostly topical but I have had an occasional tongue thickening after oral contact (like blowing up a balloon) but I just found the avocado love and have only had a handful total. I had some in a salad yesterday and didn't notice anything.

aschrimp
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
I also have a latex allergy, fwiw. I eat all the other foods on the list, with my allergist's approval. They are potentially cross reactive foods, it's not a guarantee. If you aren't reacting, I wouldn't worry too much about it.